If a Connected Learning Day is announced by the district, secondary teachers should create and post an independent assignment in Canvas for students to complete. Because the devices students use are different at Middle School and High School, we have slightly different directions for each grade band.
Middle School Setup
BEFORE A COLD DAY
1. Import the "CoLD Home Page 2021-2022" template from Canvas Commons into your courses.
2. Edit the CoLD Home Page to include your name, course title, and email address.
ON A COLD DAY
These steps should be completed by the start of the school day. Students should be expected to complete tasks that take an average of 15-20 minutes per class to complete.
2. Create an Announcement and add concise directions for the independent assignment students are expected to complete. Link to any relevant Canvas Assignments, Quizzes, etc. they should use in the completion of their task(s). If you are creating a graded Assignment or Quiz, put the due date in for the CoLD date so it is displayed on the Calendar.
High School Setup
These steps should be completed by the start of the school day. Students should be expected to complete tasks that take an average of 30 minutes per class to complete.
If a Connected Learning Day is announced, post an Announcement indicating what task(s) you want students to complete.
- Keep your announcement simple, with clear and concise directions.
- Include "CoLD" and the date in your announcement title.
- Link directly to any assignments or quizzes students will be expected to complete.
- Be sure to include a check for understanding so you can track student progress.
To add a CoLD day assignment to students' calendars on the CoLD day, use that day as the due date (not the next day or another future day).
If you want to use a home page template for CoLD, please review the Middle School directions above.Delete
Suggested Tech Tools for CoLD Assignments: