Please follow this process in situations where an elementary school iPad must be sent home with the student for an extended period of time (such as a quarantine situation) during which the student may need the access to technology in order to continue participating in academic tasks.
An iPad being sent home occasionally for an assignment should be sent home for the night with enough charge/battery capacity to complete the assigned task; these procedures apply to extended use at home during which the student is not returning to the building.
Sending an iPad Home
1. Take a charger and cable out of the classroom cart to send home with the iPad. If there are more than 5 students out at any given time, please contact the technology staff via a help ticket to explain that there is a need for additional chargers (so that you are not having to unwire and rewire a significant portion of the charging cart).
2. Check that required apps are installed on the iPad. These might include Seesaw, Google Meet, etc.
3. In general, the turn-around time for a MiFi hotspot deployment may make it impractical to send home a hotspot for a student if they do not have reliable home Internet access. If there is need for a hotspot and it is anticipated that the absence may extend beyond two weeks, a hotspot can be requested via a help ticket/email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Returning an iPad Back to School
1. Wipe the iPad, charger, and cable down lightly with Clorox wipes or other available cleaning supplies.
2. Plug the charger back into the cart and wire it as it was previously. If you need assistance with this please open a ticket by emailing email@example.com. A building tech assistant can help.