Apple Classroom is a classroom management and monitoring tool for use with a classroom full of Apple devices - iPad or Mac. It allows you as the teacher to see which devices are in the room, open (and lock) students in an app of your choosing, open a website or iBook for all students, and even monitor and display their device to the classroom.
Why use Apple Classroom?
Apple Classroom is great for sharing student work with the entire class without having to ask them to AirPlay and enter a code. It can also speed along transitions in the classroom. For example, if you need to make an announcement to the entire class, you can blank their screens temporarily. Or when you are taking a quiz in Canvas, you can lock them into the app so they cannot leave it to look at notes in other apps. It also can be used if you have a couple students in your class that tend to get off task or wander, you can monitor what they are doing or guide them to a specific app to help them stay on track. Additionally, if you are a Shakopee Online teacher, this can be a great way for you to monitor student work as they are doing it as well.Delete
How do I use Apple Classroom?
Apple Classroom and Apple IDs have changed significantly for the 2021-2022 school year. Here are the steps to getting started.1. Everyone (teachers and students) has an Apple ID created by the district. Ensure that you and all your students are signed into your Apple ID. See here for directions on signing into an Apple ID - https://techtools.shakopeeschools.org/117025-apple/sign-into-an-apple-id
2. Ensure that your device is updated to the latest operating system. iPads should be on 14.5 or higher and MacBooks must be on Big Sur (which can be updated through Self Service).
3. Apple Classroom rosters are synced automatically from Infinite Campus nightly. As long as you and your students are both signed into Apple IDs, classes will show up in Apple Classroom without any manual setup. Class names are imported exactly as they appear in IC. If you would like to rename your class, go to https://school.apple.com/ and sign in with your Apple ID. Any teacher can edit the name of any class so be sure to only edit your class names. Also be sure to name your class like this: Last Name + School Year (Smith 2021-2022).
4. If your class isn't rostered in Infinite Campus, teachers can create their own classes. This is useful for small groups, extracurriculars, or other programs which are not in IC. Use https://school.apple.com to create a class manually.
5. Classroom will work in-person or remotely. When starting class remotely, tap the 3 dots, then Connect to start your class. A push notification will show up on student iPads who have not already connected - either remotely or in person - asking them to join the class. Unlike in-person classes, remote classes require the student to consent to joining since the teacher can control their iPad. Students will only receive the notification if they are signed into their managed Apple ID on their iPad.
Apple's own Classroom User Guide is the best resource for learning how to use Classroom. We recommend reading through the documentation and playing around with the classroom app. If you have further questions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and someone from the tech department will schedule a time to go over Apple Classroom.
Troubleshooting Tips and Roster Data
See here for a full list of technical requirements to use Apple Classroom. Here are the quick tips...
- Are you and your students signed in with their managed Apple ID? Note no other Apple ID other than the one the district provides will work. The Apple ID must use the following format.
- Bluetooth must be enabled on teacher and student devices for in-person classes.
- Devices must be connected to the same wireless network (i.e. SabersWireless).
- Devices must be updated to the latest supported operating system version.
- iPad - 14.5 or higher.
- Mac - 11.3 or higher.
Class Roster Data
Class rosters are synced from Infinite Campus on a nightly basis. As long as a student is enrolled in your course, they should also show up in Apple Classroom.
Alternatively, teachers can also create their own classes by signing into Apple School Manager (https://school.apple.com). These classes are managed manually by the teacher and do sync to Apple School Manager. When the same Apple ID is signed into a new device (such as when an iPad is lost or replaced) these classes will sync. They can be used for small group work, extracurriculars, or other activities not rostered in Infinite Campus.
Changing a Class Name
Sometimes the name provided by Infinite Campus isn't very friendly, especially when there are potentially dozens of other sections in the class list. Teachers have the ability to change class names to more easily identify them in Apple Classroom.
1. Go to Apple School Manager (https://school.apple.com) and sign in with your managed Apple ID - email@example.com
2. Click Classes in the sidebar and then search for the class name you'd like to change.
3. Click Edit. Under the Class Name field enter a new name. Save. The new class name will be reflected in Apple Classroom app. Use the following format: Teacher Last Name + School Year (Smith 2021-2022).Delete
Remote and Hybrid Classes
New to Apple Classroom is the ability to conduct remote or hybrid courses. Teachers can use all the same functionality of Apple Classroom, but when in a distance learning setting. Functionality is the same compared to in person classes.
To start a remote session, tap into a class, tap the three dot icon in the top right hand corner, and tap then Connect. A push notification will show up on student iPads who have not already connected - either remotely or in person - asking them to join the class. Unlike in-person classes, remote classes require the student to consent to joining since the teacher can control their iPad. Students will only receive the notification if they are signed into their managed Apple ID on their iPad. See here for directions on signing into an Apple ID - https://techtools.shakopeeschools.org/117025-apple/sign-into-an-apple-id